EGX 2015 has just finished and the visitors to the Expo in Birmingham, England have overwhelmingly chosen Star Wars Battlefront as their Game of the Show.
Star Wars Battlefront enjoyed a huge presence on the show floor. EA’s booth featured a 20 v. 20 battle arena in which the Rebel Alliance faced-off against the might of the Galactic Empire at the famous Battle of Hoth. The game was also playable on the PlayStation booth where the co-op Survival Mode entertained gamers. EA stole the social media show with the inclusion of a full-scale TIE Fighter – the ship and pilot were photographed throughout EGX.
Here’s the full top 10 EGX 2015 Games of the Show:
1. Star Wars Battlefront
2. HTC Vive / Steam VR
3. Tom Clancy’s The Division
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider
5. Halo 5: Guardians
6. Just Cause 3
7. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
8. Total War: Warhammer
9. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate
10. Elite: Dangerous
EGX 2015 provided a brilliant platform to launch new hardware – Virtual Reality exploded onto the UK at the event with HTC Vive, PlayStation VR and Oculus Rift all playable ahead of their upcoming retail debuts. HTC Vive, powered by Steam VR, proved particularly popular, wowing the crowds with its fully-immersive 3D world and netting a very impressive second place. Elsewhere, Ubisoft had a particularly successful show in the eyes of gamers with three of its games in the top 10. Square Enix was also notable with two titles including the 6th placed Just Cause 3.
Indie gaming proved incredibly popular with the Indie MEGABOOTH, Rezzed Zone and Leftfield Collection packed with gamers enjoying stacks of unique game experiences on offer. The wonderful Rezzed Sessions made their debut at EGX this year, rounding off a hugely successful indie area. With over 350 screens of indie gaming on offer this year it’s especially impressive that Gang Beasts landed Indie Game of the Show by a strong margin. Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide and Aaero rounded off the top three.
The full top 10 EGX 2015 Indie Games of the Show are:
1. Gang Beasts
2. Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide
4. Black and White Bushido
5. Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty
6. Move or Die
7. The Escapists The Walking Dead
8. Worms WMD
David Lilley, Managing Director of Gamer Events.
EGX 2015 at the NEC in Birmingham was a huge success. Below are just a few of the highlights from the Expo:
● Over 75,000 attendees arrived to play this and next year’s best games
● 40% were attending an EGX event for the first time
● Upwards of 45% of visitors travelled 100 or more miles to attend
● 62 exhibitors, from AAA publishers and indie developers to YouTubers, streamers, eSports, retailers, universities, trade bodies and beyond
● 1800+ mainstream and specialist press generated over 400 pieces of coverage
● More than 250 playable games across PC, console, browser and mobile
● Over 350 screens of indie gaming
● Playable Virtual Reality from HTC Vive (powered by Steam VR), PlayStation VR and Oculus Rift
● Over £100,000 worth of eSports prizes awarded
● 1.1 million minutes across 40+ unique show floor and Developer Session live streams were viewed on www.youtube.com/EGX throughout the course of the show
● 37 Ukie Video Games Ambassadors and guest speakers across 16 Ukie Careers Bar sessions advised the next generation of games industry professionals on how to land a career in games
● More than 6000 school, college and university students attended – 20% increase over EGX 2014
● 30+ exclusive announcements and game development presentations, panels and Q&As across the Developer Sessions and Rezzed Sessions
● 91% of visitors reported they use EGX to decide which products to buy
● 90% of visitors intend to visit EGX again and will recommend the event to their friends
The London-based EGX Rezzed is taking place at Tobacco Dock from 7th to 9th April, 2016. Tickets will go on sale at www.egx.net/rezzed on Friday 16th October.