“We feel there isn’t a better way to celebrate 20 years of Duke Nukem 3D than to get the original team back together and provide this love letter to Duke fans,” said Steve Gibson, head of Gearbox Publishing earlier today in regards to the release of the remastered edition of the classic Duke Nukem 3D. “With all-new content built on top of what is undeniably one of the most iconic first-person shooters in gaming history, this is the ultimate Duke Nukem experience for both seasoned fans of the title and gamers from a new generation experiencing it for the first time.”
Prepped to run on contemporary machines, the Anniversary Edition World Tour features all of the original Duke Nukem 3D game, and an entire new full-length episode from the original team behind the game at 3D Realms that will take the player around the world throughout eight new maps. Some locations on display will be Amsterdam, Egypt, Hollywood, London, Moscow, Paris, Rome and San Francisco. The complete feature list is as follows:
- Complete, all-new episode containing eight brand new, classically-designed levels created by the original designers of Duke Nukem 3D, Allen Blum III and Richard “Levelord®” Gray
- New original music composed by Lee Jackson, original author of Duke Nukem’s theme and sound designer for Duke Nukem 3D, along with new one-liners from the voice actor behind Duke, Jon St. John
- Behind-the-scenes commentary from the original development team, accessible in-game
- Play the game using the original 1996 graphics engine or toggle in real time to play with the original content rendered at improved fidelity and frame rate using Gearbox’s all-new “True3D Rendering” mode
- Online play with up to eight players in Dukematch or team up in eight-player online co-op
The anniversary edition is available on Windows PC as well as Xbox One and PlayStation 4.